There are more than 1.2 million trucking companies in the United States, and yet most people have little to no idea how this service can help them. It is a billion-dollar industry, even bigger than air transportation. Here are key facts that most people don’t know about the trucking industry.
Did you know? The trucking industry carries approximately 10.8 billion tonnes of goods across the United States. This is because nearly 5% of the United States’ jobs come from the trucking industry, contributing a notable chunk to the United States employment.
According to a recent estimate, the trucking industry needs to hire almost 900,000 more truck drivers to meet the industry’s growing demands. These are staggering numbers considering how little people know about this sector. While the trucking industry might not be in the best situation compared to other sectors – experts predict that starting in 2021, the industry will be experiencing growth in the future.
- The trucking industry generates billions of revenue every year, which is about 5% of America GDP.
- There are around 1.2 million truck companies in the U.S.
- There is an estimate of 15.5 million trucks operating in the U.S.
- The top 5 truck transferred goods are: clothing, farm produce, paper products, building materials and machinery.
- 90% of the foods Americans eat are transported by trucks.
- The trucking industry hauls up to 70% of U.S goods.
- Many grocery stores will exhaust their food supplies in three days if truck drivers stop driving.
- Trucking constitutes close to 6% of the full-time jobs in America, which is more than the GDP of other countries.
- There are approximately 3.5 million truck drivers in the United States, according to the US Census.
- A truck driver earns an average of 40 to 65 thousand dollar per year based on the type of company and experience.
- One out of every 14 jobs in the U.S is directly dependent on trucking services.
- An average truck driver drives around 100,000 miles per year, this makes 2,000-3,000 miles per week!
- The largest age group in the trucking industry is 45-54 years.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Truck Driving jobs are expected to increase 11-21% between 2021 and 2022.
- Presently, there are 200,000 female truck drivers and the numbers keep increasing!
There you have it – top facts about trucking to help you understand this service’s significance and technicalities. Head over to https://cooperfreight.com/ to get all your questions answered related to driver employment opportunities, trucking, and freight services.